Want an easy-to-make and even easier to LOVE ketogenic option for breakfast?
Want one that you can make ahead and reheat later?
Want a keto breakfast that actually provides you a serving of vegetables, too?
This one will do ALL of that!
If you are a ketogenic or low carb dieter, you know that eating bacon and eggs every day for breakfast can get real old, real fast.
So having a spicy, veggie-ful and cheesy delicious option is a must!
And did I mention that this casserole is pretty easy to make?
Be sure to choose sausage that is all-natural, gluten-free and low in sugar. Also, don’t feel like you must use cheddar cheese. Monterey Jack, Gouda and Swiss all work here. Want extra spice? Try Pepper Jack cheese!
While this recipe calls for green cabbage, we use red cabbage when we make it. A large part of this is the ready availability of bagged, shredded red cabbage at our local grocery store.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise (We LOVE Just Mayo Mayonnaise!)
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375F and grease a casserole dish; set aside.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until almost cooked through.
- Add cabbage, zucchini and onion, cooking until vegetables are tender and sausage is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and spoon into prepared casserole dish, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, sage and pepper until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of the grated cheese to the egg mixture and stir.
- Pour this mixture over the sausage and vegetables in the casserole dish.
- Top casserole with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Place casserole in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes, or until bubbling around the edges and the cheese is melted and lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Here’s the nutritional profile.
Makes 6 servings
1 serving equals:
Fats: 40 g
Net Carbs:4 g
Protein: 22 g
Fiber: 8 g
Give this one a try and let me know what you think!
Keep the faith and keep after it!